The Laundry Riser

I mentioned elsewhere that I was having some issues with the new venting tube for my dryer.  Because the tube was semi-rigid, I couldn’t make the tight turns that the old wrapped, spring-style tube used to.  And because I couldn’t make tight turns, I couldn’t get my dryer close to the wall.  So ever since I’ve redone the laundry room, my washer and dryer have been jutting out at least 6” further from the wall than previously.

The solution I came up with was to raise the washer and dryer so the outlet port on the dryer would meet up with the vent port in the wall, eliminating all bends in the vent tubing.  This should be a piece of cake.  The difference between the port in the wall and the dryer port is about 4”.  So a base of 2×4’s with a 1/2” plywood top will be just about perfect.

Over time, I’ve collected a bunch of tools I haven’t had a lot of opportunity to use.  And this project would let me get a few more things that I probably won’t use very often, either.  One of the cooler new things I’ll get to use is a pocket hole jig.  I probably don’t need to go to that extreme to build a frame, but I’d read some really good things about pocket holes and wanted to see it for myself.

With a $40 Kreg jig and a couple of 2×4’s, I cut out a frame and fastened the pieces together.  It was very simple to do and the results were quite solid.  I did intend to put a couple of joists in the middle of the frame, since I’m dealing with some heavy equipment on top.

I’ve been collecting random tools here and there and it’s just stuff I’d always found workarounds for in the past.  Like sawhorses, I’d just use some boxes or anything else flat and elevated.  Like clamps, I’d just use my foot or a weight like a cinder block.  There’s something really nice about having the tools that are supposed to be used, instead of improvising.  And as I keep collecting more things, I can do more things the right way.  A few years ago, I probably would have cut the frame with a hand saw and used whatever nails I had lying around to fasten it all together.

So at this point, I just need to get the plywood top, attach it, and paint the whole thing.  Then, I need to move forward on getting cabinets for that room.